Assistance with Federal Agencies
If you can't get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, our office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem.
Residents of the 16th Congressional District of California can contact us for assistance in dealing with Federal agencies. My office can help you understand your rights and responsibilities relative to various federal programs and help you work through a problem you may have with a federal agency. Whether it's the IRS, Social Security Administration, or any other federal agency, my office can help cut the red tape.
Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence—such as:
- Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;
- VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;
- Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if an individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.;
- Your address, home phone number, and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;
- Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved;
The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.
We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request.
To complete a Privacy Release Form, click here.
Then, mail it along with a brief letter explaining your situation. Any additional information or documentation that may help me and my staff assist you should be sent along with the Privacy Release Form and letter. If you have any documents that you would like me and my staff to review regarding your situation, please send copies of those documents, rather than originals.
Mail a packet with your materials (including the signed form and letter) to the following address:
Congressman Jim Costa
Attention: Director of Constituent Services
855 M Street, Suite 940
Fresno, CA 93721
If you have any questions at all, please call my Fresno District Office at (559) 495-1620.