Costa Statement on Supreme Court DACA Ruling
(WASHINGTON) – Congressman Jim Costa (CA-16) released the following statement after the United States Supreme Court ruled the Trump Administration’s decision to terminate the Deferred Actions on Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program is unlawful:
"This is big win for our Dreamers. But the fight is not over,” said Costa. “We must work to pass comprehensive immigration reform so we have a legal process for those who want to stay and continue to contribute to our country in meaningful ways. These young people should not have to live in fear of being ripped away from their families and for many, the only home they have ever known."
Rep. Costa has made protecting Dreamers a top priority and has consistently stood with them in their fight for a path to citizenship by working on the following:
- Co-sponsored the BRIDGE Act, which would have provided 3 years of deferred action to Dreamers while Congress works towards comprehensive immigration reform.
- Pushed the Trump Administration to work with Congress on a bipartisan basis to finally reform our nation’s broken immigration system.
- Advocated for years for bipartisan comprehensive immigration reform to bring commonsense, fairness, and certainty to the country’s immigration system.
- Joined fellow members of Congressional Hispanic Caucus in meeting with then-Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly to discuss America’s immigration policy.
- Wrote to President Trump to urge him to continue DACA and protect the program in court from ongoing lawsuits.
- Provided constituents with essential information and key deadlines for how to extend their DACA protections.
- Cosponsored the American Dream and Promise Act, a bill that would provide Dreamers with a legal status and put them on a path for earned citizenship.