COSTA STATEMENT ON PASSAGE OF BIPARTISAN CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE BILL
(WASHINGTON) - Congressman Jim Costa (CA-16) made the following statement in response to House passage of H.R. 6201, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act in reaction to coronavirus (COVID-19):
“The health and safety of all Americans is my top priority as we cope with this health crisis," said Costa. "Today, we saw the impact this coronavirus pandemic is having on our communities, the economy and the world. The legislation I voted for puts families first. It is another important step to provide resources to every American and to ensure our healthcare providers have the tools to fight this disease. I am in regular contact with local health officials, schools, community leaders and Governor Newsom’s team to assess the Valley’s needs and do everything possible to keep our communities safe. Certainly, more work will need to be done.”
The legislation does the following:
- Free coronavirus testing for everyone who needs a test, including the uninsured.
- Paid emergency leave, with both 14 days of paid sick leave and up to three months of paid family and medical leave.
- Enhanced Unemployment Insurance, a first step that will extend protections to furloughed workers.
- Strengthened food security initiatives, including SNAP, student meals, seniors’ nutrition and food banks.
- Increased federal funds for Medicaid, as states face increased costs.