Costa Statement on Final Passage of American Rescue Plan, Hope for the Future
(WASHINGTON) Congressman Jim Costa (CA-16) released the following statement after final passage of the American Rescue Plan, the updated Senate-passed version of President Biden’s landmark legislation that will work to crush the COVID-19 virus:
“Help is on the way! This transformational and lifesaving bill is a turning point in our nation’s fight against COVID-19,” said Costa. “From putting money in pockets, cutting child poverty, and providing financial relief to our cash-strapped communities, this bill sends a message that we will do everything we can to provide for struggling Americans. The American Rescue Plan gives us the tools to overcome this crisis.”
The American Rescue includes the following:
Provides relief to local communities:
- Fresno, Madera, and Merced Counties, all of which are facing budget shortfalls, are estimated to receive more than $230 million dollars in local relief:
*An estimated $194 million for Fresno County, $177 for city of Fresno
*An estimated $31 million for Madera County, $28 million of city of Madera
*An estimated $54 million for Merced County, $26 million for city of Merced
- The money is intended to help local governments continue providing vital services to residents;
- Helps prevent job cuts to law enforcement and fire protection services.
Prioritizes vaccinations and safely reopening schools:
- Mounts a national vaccination program that includes setting up community vaccination sites nationwide;
- Takes complementary measures to combat the virus by scaling up testing and tracing, addressing personal protective equipment and other critical supply shortages, investing in high-quality treatments, and addressing health care disparities;
- Makes the investments necessary to safely reopen schools.
Delivers aid to working families
- Provides direct assistance to households across America with checks up to $1,400 per person;
- Provides direct housing and nutrition assistance for 40 million Americans;
- Expands access to safe and reliable childcare and affordable health care;
- Extends and expand unemployment insurance, expand the Child Tax Credit and Earned Income Tax Credit;
- Provides crucial support for the hardest-hit small businesses, especially those that are minority owned, with EIDL grants, expanded PPP eligibility and more;
- Provides crucial resources to protect the jobs of first responders, frontline public health workers, teachers, transit workers and other essential workers that all Americans depend on.
- Provides $3.6 billion for food and farm worker protections and donations to food banks.
- Provides $25 billion to a new SBA program - the Restaurant Revitalization Fund - to assist restaurants and bars with 20 or fewer locations.
An updated fact sheet on the American Rescue Plan can be found here.