COSTA ISSUES STATEMENT ON DISCOVERY OF CORONAVIRUS IN MADERA COUNTY
(FRESNO) - Congressman Jim Costa (CA-16) released the following statement after the announcement that a Madera County resident tested positive for COVID-19 (coronavirus):
“I’ve been briefed by healthcare officials in Madera County and am actively monitoring the situation," said Costa. "I have also made contact with both state and federal officials to ensure that our local healthcare providers are equipped with the resources they need to protect our community.”
In response to the global outbreak of COVID-19 (novel coronavirus), Rep. Costa convened a group of valley healthcare leaders last week to discuss local efforts to combat the respiratory disease, which was first detected in China late last year. He also voted for an emergency funding supplemental that fully addresses the scale of this public health crisis, which the President signed into law.
In light of these new developments, county health officials say residents should continue following guidance from the CDC:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough, or sneeze with a tissue (then throw the tissue in the trash!)
- Wash your hands often and vigorously with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the restroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.