Coronavirus Update 04.07.2020
The COVID-19 health crisis is unprecedented and has impacted our daily lives. But together, we can work through this difficult time because we share a deep concern about our health, safety, and the social and economic impacts of this global pandemic.
As your Congressman, I want to keep you informed about our daily efforts to keep people safe and provide economic relief. Our offices in Fresno, Merced, and Washington, D.C. are open to serve you, though in a different way. In accordance with the federal and state guidelines regarding social distancing and shelter-in-place, our entire staff is working remotely from home. Fortunately, we still have the capacity to receive your phone calls and emails daily and are working diligently to assist you with the challenges we are facing.
Protecting Valley residents
I've been working daily with state and local leaders to ensure we're able to respond effectively to this health crisis. Here are some examples:
- Helped get COVID-19 testing kits through customs.
- Worked with County health officials to secure rapid testing kits for the Central Valley.
- Sent a letter to Administrator Carranza urging small farms be eligible for SBA loans.
- Reached out to USDA to get regulations waived so school districts are reimbursed for the school breakfast and lunch program while schools are shutdown.
- We sent a letter to Gov. Newsom seeking resources for our Valley, and coordinated efforts with state and federal Valley legislators.
- Hosted a Telephone Town Hall with local health officials to answer constituent questions about the COVID-19 health crisis.
- Sent a letter to Secretary Azar calling for COVID-19 materials be available in various languages.
For a comprehensive list of all the actions I've taken, visit my website.
Recursos en Español
Hemos concentrada toda la información sobre COVID-19 que necesita en un lugar conveniente. Visita mi sitio web.
Supporting Families, Workers, and Businesseses
On March 27th, Congress passed the third bipartisan agreement to provide economic relief for the American people and enhance our front line health care workers' capacity to respond to this evolving health crisis.
As we look forward, we are continuing to do everything we can to mitigate the impacts of this pandemic and ensure the well-being of the American people.
- Social Security Recipients Will Automatically Receive Economic Impact Payments
- IRS Extends Tax Filing and Payment Deadline to July 15th
- Federal Government Extends Real ID Deadline to October, 2021
- President Trump Extends Social Distancing Measures Until April 30th
We are working with healthcare providers: our doctors, nurses, healthcare workers, and others that put their lives at risk everyday, attempting to protect us from this deadly virus. We want to make sure that they have masks, gowns, gloves, and other critical safety equipment to protect themselves and the people of our Valley. We're also working to make sure they receive enough respirators and testing kits so we can continue to work to address this health crisis.
Track recent COVID-19 developments in:
Safety and Social Distancing Guidlines
- Clean your hands often
- Avoid close contact
- Stay home if you’re sick
- Cover coughs and sneezes
- Clean and disinfect
The CDC now recommends wearing cloth face masks in public settings where social distancing can be difficult.
BEWARE OF SCAMS
Scammers never rest - even during a crisis. Various federal agencies and utility companies are issuing warnings about the possibility of scams and disinformation. Find out how to protect yourself.
The American Red Cross is experiencing a severe blood shortage due to the coronavirus outbreak. I ask you if you're healthy to join me in giving blood to our local blood banks. It is a national emergency and a way we can all help out. Find out more on how to help.
We've compiled all the resources you need in one convenient location on our website.
If you need specific help from our district office, please submit a request and a member of our staff will contact you. Here are some highlights:
- COVID Resources Toolkit for Families (ENGLISH)
- COVID-19: Manual Digital de Recursos Para Constituyentes (SPANISH)
- FAQs on the CARES Act
- If you are a veteran or active service member in need of financial assistance, apply for PENFED COVID-19 Emergency Financial Relief Program.
- If you are a small business owner that's been impacted, apply for Small Business Administration Economic Injury Disaster Loans. It's recommended to visit the site early in the morning or after 5pm PDT when there is reduced traffic.
- If you're a displaced worker, file a claim for Unemployment Insurance.
- Information for Americans overseas
- Information and resources for seniors
- Food Assistance
- Ways to help your community
- En Español
For most Americans, this healthcare crisis was unimaginable two months ago. Rest assured, my highest priority is working on a bipartisan basis to help our Valley and our nation get through this strenuous time.
Member of Congress
Click here to subscribe to my e-newsletter