Coronavirus Update 4.17.2020
The COVID-19 health crisis continues to impact our daily lives. But together, we can work through this difficult time and we will.
As your Congressman, I want to keep you informed about our daily efforts to keep people safe and provide economic relief. Please do not hesitate to email or call if my office can help.
Helping the Valley
My staff and I have been working daily with federal, state, and local leaders to ensure we're able to respond effectively to this health crisis. Here are some examples of recent efforts:
- We led a letter with fellow members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus to press Leadership to provide support for our farmworkers.
- I have urged the Speaker to provide direct financial support to smaller localities that are offering essential, life-saving services.
- We sent a bipartisan letter to USDA calling on them to provide direct support to specialty crop producers.
- We sent a letter to the Department of Health and Human Services, calling for funding to be made available for our rural healthcare providers immediately.
For a comprehensive list of all the actions I've taken, visit my website.
Get Your Stimulus Payment?
The IRS has launched an online tool to easily ensure you get your stimulus payment and track its status.
Did you receive your direct deposit yet?
We've compiled all the resources you need in one convenient location on our website.
If you need specific help from our district office, please submit a request and a member of our staff will contact you. Here are some highlights:
- Get your stimulus payment
- COVID Resources Toolkit for Families (ENGLISH)
- FAQs on the CARES Act
- If you are a veteran or active service member in need of financial assistance, apply for PENFED COVID-19 Emergency Financial Relief Program.
- Navigating Small Business Administration programs
- If you're a displaced worker, file a claim for Unemployment Insurance.
- Food Assistance
- Ways to help your community
- Library of Congress Digital Reources for Students
- Smithsonian Digital Resources for Students
Recursos en Español
MAKE YOUR OWN FACE COVERING
Protect your Mental Health
While COVID-19 poses risks to your physical health, many of us are also dealing with the mental and emotional strain caused by this crisis. Here are some resources:
- Disaster Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration useful tips for proactively monitoring your mental health.
- CDC guidelines for coping with a disaster or traumatic event, as well as guidelines for helping children cope with emergencies.
- AARP suggestions on how to fight social isolation for seniors.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255.
- Ideas for activities to stay engaged while social distancing:
- Reconnect with someone
- Take up a new hobby
- Cook new recipes
I'm pleased to report that our Valley health centers have received important grant funding from the CARES Act to hep combat COVID-19:
- $3.2 million - Golden Valley Health Centers
- $1.2 million - Camarena Health
Our San Joaquin Valley airports also received grant funding from the Department of Transportation help mitigate the effects of the crisis:
- $12.9 million - Fresno Yosemite International Airport
- $16.9 million - Merced Regional / Macready Field
BEWARE OF SCAMS
Scammers never rest - even during a crisis. Various federal agencies and utility companies are issuing warnings about the possibility of scams and disinformation. Find out how to protect yourself. You can also track reports of existing scams here.
The American Red Cross is experiencing a severe blood shortage due to the coronavirus outbreak. I ask you if you're healthy to join me in giving blood to our local blood banks. It is a national emergency and a way we can all help out. Find out more on how to help.
The health and safety of this community is my top priority. I am working with my Congressional colleagues everyday to help craft a fourth stimulus package that will help us confront the social and economic challenges we’re facing from this pandemic.
Member of Congress
Click here to subscribe to my e-newsletter