Costa Statement on House Passage of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2020
(WASHINGTON) – Congressman Jim Costa (CA-16) released the following statement after the House passed the FY 2021 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA):
“This bipartisan legislation takes important steps to strengthen our national security and keep our country safe,” Costa said. “In addition to ensuring the U.S. military remains the strongest in the world, the bill provides key provisions to bolster our future pandemic response and address racial equality in the military. I’m hopeful that the Senate and the President will act to ensure our country remains strong and secure.”
This bipartisan bill includes the following provisions :
- Gives Our Troops a Pay Raise & Protects Their Safety: It authorizes a 3 percent military pay raise, invests in housing improvements for military members and families, and improves sexual assault prevention and response measures.
- Strengthens America’s Health & Economic Security: Adds important fixes to expand paid parental leave for certain federal civilian employees, and initiatives to combat the climate crisis.
- Responds to the COVID-19 Pandemic: Strengthens our defenses to pandemics with a $1 billion Pandemic Preparedness and Resilience National Security Fund, boosts America’s industrial base resilience, and supports NATO’s multinational response to the pandemic.
- Provides for Removing the Names of Confederates from Our Military Bases: Requires DOD to identify, report on a process and change the names of all military bases and infrastructure named for individuals who served in the Confederacy within one year. Also prohibits the public display of the Confederate flag on Department of Defense installations.
- Creates a More Diverse Military: Combats racial disparities in the Military Justice System and in personnel policies and practices by creating a Special Investigator, establishing Chief Diversity Officers throughout the military, and creating initiatives for increasing representation of women and minorities in the military services.
- Advances our Values: Prohibits use of DOD funds to provide support to the Saudi-led coalition for strikes in Yemen, and limiting the funding under the national emergency military construction authority to prevent its misuse on the President’s wasteful border wall.