Costa Co-Sponsors Biden Administration’s Bold Immigration Plan
Congressman Jim Costa (CA-16) released the following statement after the introduction of the U.S. Citizenship Act of 2021, legislation in which he is an original co-sponsor. The legislation provides broad immigration reform to provide hardworking immigrants an opportunity to earn citizenship:
“I’m proud to co-sponsor this bold legislation that restores humanity and American values to our immigration system,” says Costa. “This is a monumental step in reform. In addition, for years I’ve been working with a bipartisan coalition on the Farm Workforce Modernization Act and the Dream and Promise Act . I want to see each of these bills pass so that hardworking immigrants have an earned path to citizenship. It’s time we act for our farmworkers who put food on our tables and shape our state’s economy. For too long we have talked about reform without significant action. Now is the time to deliver permanent protections for the millions of immigrants and their families who are American in every way but on paper.”
The U.S. Citizenship Act would do the following:
Provide Pathways to Citizenship and Strengthen Labor Protections:
- Create an earned roadmap to citizenship for undocumented individuals;
- Keep families together;
- Promote immigrant and refugee integration and citizenship;
- Grow our economy; and
- Protect workers from exploitation and improve the employment verification process.
Prioritize Smart Border Controls
- Supplement existing border resources with technology and infrastructure;
- Manage the border and protect border communities; and
- Crack down on criminal organizations.
Address Root Causes of Migration:
- Address the underlying caucus of migration
- Improve the immigration courts and protect vulnerable individuals; and
- Support asylum seekers and other vulnerable populations.
A fact sheet about the bill can be found here.