Rep. Costa Supports California Agriculture in Response to COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic is having a huge impact on our farming community – every sector has been impacted. I am working daily with farmers, dairymen and other Ag organizations to find solutions and remind people that the production of food is a national security issue. Here are some of the actions I’ve taken to support the Ag community:
- Sent a letter to Governor Newsom and Secretary Bernhardt with Senator Feinstein and other Valley Members calling for continued federal and state coordination of operations between the State Water Project (SWP) and Central Valley Project (CVP).
- Led the Congressional Hispanic Caucus (CHC) in a letter to encourage Congress to provide protection and financial relief for the essential farmworkers who feed America.
- Sent a letter to Ag Secretary Sonny Perdue advocating for support for dairy farmers during this crisis.
- Led a bipartisan coalition of 108 members asking USDA to provide direct support to specialty crop producers.
- Urged Small Business Administrator Jovita Carranza to ensure small farmer and agricultural businesses get the assistance they deserve.
- Sent a letter along with a bipartisan coalition to USDA, urging inclusion of relief for cattle ranchers in the CARES Act.
- Called on Congressional Leadership to increase Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Sent a letter along with members of the bipartisan Congressional Cut Flowers Caucus, requesting Secretary Purdue to use CARES Act funding to help flower producers who are experiencing a dramatic reduction in demand.
- As the Chairman of the Subcommittee on Livestock and Foreign Agriculture, asked Secretary Purdue to consider direct assistance to agricultural businesses who have lost markets to ensure no farmer gets left behind.
Member of Congress
Click here to subscribe to my e-newsletter